Animal Planet is outraged and heartbroken by the recent killing of Cecil the lion. The network strongly opposes the deplorable practice of trophy hunting and poaching, asserting that they devastate conservation efforts, reduce wildlife populations and weaken the populations' gene pools.
Animals Are Not Trophies
Read more Read less
In this undated photo provided by the Wildlife Conservation Research Unit, Cecil the lion rests in Hwange National Park, in Hwange, Zimbabwe.
How You Can Help
Sign a petition. Donate to a cause. Get the word out.
- The Humane Society: Help Save the African Lion from Extinction by getting the African lion listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act.
- takepart: Lions Like Cecil Aren't Trophies. Petition for legislation to ban importation of African lion trophies.
- WildCRU: Cecil and the Conservation of Lions. Help raise funds for the group who was studying Cecil and other lions in his coalition.
More About Animal Conservation
- Reach Out. Act. Respond (R.O.A.R.) - Explore the work of our partners who are striving to improve conservation of animal species both wild and domesticated.
- David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation - Projects include protecting species including the Elephant, Rhino, Tiger, Lion, Leopard and more, as well as raising awareness about poaching and wildlife crime.
- World Wildlife Fund: Wildlife Conservation - Find out what this renowned organization is doing to empower people to protect wildlife, stop wildlife crime, use technology and elevate wildlife's worth to protect species.
- International Fund for Animal Welfare - Protecting animals from illegal wildlife trade is one of their many projects, which also include efforts to prevent animal cruelty and rescue individual animals.