When you see Fluffy giving you a sad little look while standing next to the dinner table, you might be tempted to slip your furry pal a little taste of your food. Or perhaps you've been in the midst of preparing a large holiday meal and let your pet tend to the floor scraps. Beats sweeping, right?
Sharing food with your pet may seem relatively harmless, but outside of encouraging bad begging behaviors and possibly even weight gain (thanks to the extra calories), you could actually be putting your pet's overall health and life at risk. There are a number of foods and ingredients consumed by humans every day, like chocolate, milk and garlic that can trigger serious toxic reactions in pets. We'll take a closer look at the ones that can be most harmful to your four-legged friends. We'll examine the signs of ingestion, the side effects, and what you should do in case of emergency. Let's start with one that seems very harmless: milk.