Jeremy Wade, freshwater detective, biologist and extreme angler, is breaking the surface and diving into the lairs of aquatic beasts with six brand-new episodes of the seventh season of RIVER MONSTERS, premiering Sunday, April 5, at 9 PM (ET/PT).
Season seven is full of unexplored realms for Jeremy - both emotionally and physically. In the season premiere, "Canadian Horror," he seeks to find the reason why boaters and fishermen are vanishing into thin air. The accused beast is described as a giant eel-like serpent and a fruitless search for this elusive predator sends Jeremy close to the edge. After nearly 13,000 casts, his determination borders on obsession as he waits for just one fated bite. Multiple setbacks and volatile weather have Jeremy looking to native spirits for a boost in confidence. Do monstrous captures come to those who wait, or is Jeremy hanging up his rod with the mystery unsolved for the first time in RIVER MONSTERS history?
Later in the season, Jeremy dives into the Okavango Delta in Botswana to face the aggressive tigerfish in its own environment - underwater in the river's depths, alongside killer crocodiles. In Cambodia, Jeremy finds a deceivingly adorable little fish may be responsible for slicing through a young man's testicle. Jeremy makes himself shark bait in Alaska's icy waters to prove that these particular fish won't attack a human - even if that human is diving right into the middle of a feeding frenzy. There's trouble in paradise with news stories of an unknown freshwater killer in Fiji. Jeremy has a fish he's met before in his crosshairs, but his search soon turns to a fierce predator that has never found its way on to his suspect list.
"Having trained to dive 20 years ago in the cold waters around the U.K., I am now taking that skill and combining it with my unique knowledge of fish behavior around the world," explains Jeremy. "This season, I'm heading back to a few places I have been eager to revisit, searching for species that have thwarted me. I'll also encounter a number of RIVER MONSTERS face to face in their own environment - and all of them are not fish."
Just when viewers think Jeremy has caught almost every river monster alive, he is fishing in the past for the epic special RIVER MONSTERS: PREHISTORIC TERROR, premiering duringMONSTER WEEK. Jeremy calls on the same instincts he uses to catch living monsters to uncover the most deadly underwater giants of all time. He must read the water (and in some cases the land) for clues in order to bring long-forgotten beasts to light. Using Wade's keen understanding of modern-day monsters, top scientific discoveries and state-of-the-art CGI, the apex killers of the prehistoric era such as the 25-foot, buzz saw-toothed Helicoprion and the bone-crushing Dunkleosteus, come to life for the first time in RIVER MONSTERS: PREHISTORIC TERROR. Jeremy catches the cousins to these ancient terrors, including the bottom-dwelling Frankenstein fish known as a Ratfish or Ghost Shark, in order to make all the connections necessary to determine which of these RIVER MONSTERS is the greatest to ever live.
Season seven RIVER MONSTERS episodes include the following:
- Canadian Horror: Ontario locals tell unbelievable tales of a stealthy, 20-foot serpent lurking in Canada's expansive waters. The search sends Jeremy close to the edge and his determination to hook this elusive predator borders on obsession.
- Africa's Deadliest: Once again, Jeremy tackles one of the largest fresh water systems on earth - the Okavango Delta in Botswana, where he willingly makes himself into human bait, 40 feet underwater in hopes of finding a pack of hungry tigerfish.
- Mekong Mutilator: Jeremy ventures to the Mekong River in Cambodia after receiving a disturbing report of a bloody attack by a toothy predator that has sliced clean through a young man's testicle. The clues carry Jeremy to the largest natural lake in Southeast Asia where he ditches his rod for a native fishing custom and zones in on the freshwater pufferfish.
- Alaska's Cold Water Killer: Recent reports of fishermen vanishing without a trace on Alaska's south coast leads Jeremy to America's last frontier on a mission that takes him on the hunt for one fish he's never hooked before - the mighty king salmon. When the investigation takes an unexpected turn, Jeremy finds himself in shark-infested waters.
- Serial Killer Serpent (wt): Mysterious reports lead Jeremy across the world to tropical Fiji, the last place he'd expect to find a river monster. Fishermen are coming under attack from an unknown freshwater invader, leaving their bodies bruised and battered. With stories of attacks capturing international headlines, Jeremy is determined to unveil what is causing trouble in the Pacific Ocean.
- Prehistoric Terror: Using Jeremy's keen understanding of modern-day monsters, top scientific discoveries and state-of-the-art CGI, the apex killers of the prehistoric era such as the 25-foot, buzz saw-toothed Helicoprion and the bone-crushing Dunkleosteus, come to life for the first time.
Animal Planet's RIVER MONSTERS is a weekly murder mystery following Wade's life-long quest to discover which finned suspects are actually man-eaters, and which are victims of mistaken identity or part of an epic myth. Wade travels the world's waterways in search of all the man-eaters that lurk beneath the surface. No river monster will elude him for long and he'll stop at nothing to solve every cold-case involving a murderous underwater creature.